It is Be Kind to Animals Week and Patton Chapel Animal Clinic wants to give you some tips to help make your trip to come see us more kind to your pets.
We realize coming to the veterinarian can be stressful for your pets (and you!) As well, boarding your pets while you travel can cause anxiety when they are in a new place with unfamiliar sights, sound and smells.
Here are some tips to help make your next visit to Patton Chapel Animal Clinic easier on you and your pet:
- Kennel/Crate. Introduce your pet to a crate or kennel BEFORE it comes time to use it to travel to the vet. Once your pet accepts and uses the crate, the crate can be used to transport your pet to and from our clinic.
- Hiding places. Some pets feel more comfortable when they can hide. Provide a blanket in the crate for your pet to hide under. You can also use a blanket to cover the crate and give your pet a sense of protection.
- Car rides. Consider placing your pet’s crate in the floor of the front seat to provide a visual barrier as well as calming white noise from the engine running. Safety belts specially adapted for dogs are also available. If your pet does get car sick, ask us about strategies to alleviate the symptoms.
- Practice sessions. Call ahead to our clinic to find out when there is a quiet time to visit. During the visit, your pet can calmly walk around the building and exam room. Use treats and positive praise with your pet as you tour around.
- Distractions. Bring your pet’s favorite treats/toys to give them something positive to focus on during the visit.
- Limit food before appointment so treats are more effective
We have products such as Zylkene, Feliway and Adaptil that can help during these and other stressful situations (such as storms, fireworks or visitors to your home).
- Zylkene is a supplement derived from casein (a protein in milk) that can be given to cats or dogs to help them cope with unusual situations. Administered as a capsule or mixed with water before or during the stressful period, Zylkene helps them increase their ability to cope with change and can reduce their coping mechanisms. Read more about Zylkene…
- Feliway is a synthetic feline pheromone that mimics a cat’s natural pheromone used to mark their territory as safe and secure. Feliway creates a state of familiarity and security to help comfort and reassure cats while are in a challenging situation. Multiple products are available including carrier wipes, diffusers and sprays. Get more tips on traveling with cats from Feliway…
- Adaptil is a synthetic pheromone that mimics the pheromone mother dogs emit after giving birth to help their puppies feel calm and secure. Dogs of all ages recognize this pheromone throughout life and Adaptil reduces stress and stress-related inappropriate behaviors. Multiple products are available including collars, diffusers and sprays. Get more tips for traveling with dogs from Adaptil…
- Patton Chapel Animal Clinic can administer Zylkene, Feliway or Adaptil to your pets while they board with us for a small fee (varies based on product, size and breed).
Call us at 822-4779 or request appointment online now and ask about these products at your next appointment.