Operations Manager Job Description
Reports to: Practice Owner or Operations Manager (SVP)
The Operations Manager will monitor operations at PCAC. He/she must hold the highest regard for maintaining a healthy, safe, and cohesive work environment while also maintaining legal and ethical continuity within the practice. He/she will lead by example and maintain a professional demeanor at all times. The Manager is responsible for the success of the hospital in the following areas: benchmarking; client and staff retention; productivity; and profitability. This position will require a close working relationship with the Operations Manager (SVP) to maintain and promote excellence at the clinic level.
Education and Licensure Requirements
- Four-year college degree desirable but not required.
- V.P.M. desirable but not required.
- Typing skills required.
- Computer knowledge required; comfortable with Word, Excel, Quickbooks, and use of communication tools such as Facebook and email.
- Significant experience within a veterinary hospital required. Technician background desirable but not required.
- Customer Service background required.
The Operations Manager must be able to:
- Be flexible in work scheduling as the needs of the hospital are ever-changing. Be available by cell phone most times.
- Be attentive to the supportive needs of staff as individuals in the quest to build a team environment.
- Be able to handle stress and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Lead by example.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying records and equipment weighing up to 25 lbs; requires sitting and standing for extended periods or time.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
The salary range for the position is $ to $ based on full-time employment.
Benefits are outlined in the employee manual and are separate from the salary.
- Handle or oversee all staff scheduling promoting the best use of staff during peak hours as well as compensating the schedule for slower times. Work with kennel staff and technical staff to plan accordingly.
- Create an educational plan for each individual employee annually along with the budgeting needs of the plan. Ensure that credentialed employees are meeting their educational requirements.
- Implement and oversee all training programs related to employee training, including employee development, safety, OSHA, chemotherapy, biomedical, and radiation training as well as all related documentation.
- Cover positions in the event of vacancies.
- Monitor staff productivity.
- Monitor and maintain Avimark updates and training as deemed necessary. Work with Operations Manager at SVP.
- Create, adjust and update procedures and protocols with veterinarians input as necessary to assure patient care and comfort meets the hospital standards.
- Oversee kennel bathing and boarding scheduling to accommodate case loads and ensure client needs are being met.
- Create and maintain protocols that assure cleanliness, continuity and a caring environment within our boarding facility.
- Continually review and modify systems and procedures to ensure optimal service to clients.
- Carry out or delegate organization of all client correspondence including reminders, statements, thank you cards, welcome cards, call backs, etc.
- Meet with sales persons to keep up with clinics professional relationships and to be educated on available new products.
- Maintain appropriate levels of “quantity on hand”, “reorder level”, and “reorder quantity” in the veterinary software.
- Work with Operations Manager from SVP to make sure DEA reporting and clinic inventory are kept up to date.
- Set protocols that support the best use of hospital supplies to minimize waste.
- Work with Operations Manager to the computer receiving process of drugs and supplies.
Clinic Management and Meetings
- Organize weekly staff meetings.
- Develop monthly agenda for meetings to include staff CE, clinic updates, staff appreciation and distributor meetings.
- Work with vendors and companies to sponsor appropriate training for products
Technical Duties (60% of time dedicated)
- Develop daily routines and protocols, organize and print protocols. Update these as needed to promote best practices.
- Prepare to train staff to follow these protocols.
- Develop systems for accountability and follow through.
- Develop technician work book for training new employees.
Front Desk and Customer Service Duties (25% of time dedicated)
- Provide front desk support during necessary times, primarily on Mondays and Fridays
- Help other customer service reps to organize daily routines and protocols.
- Train rest of staff by scheduling cross training with rest of staff.
- Develop phone etiquette protocol with current staff.
- Help develop customer service work-book.
Practice Management Training
- Work with Veterinarians and management team to pursue certificate in practice management.
- Determine necessary requirements to fulfill this process
- Schedule appropriate CE as needed for VPM program